Thursday, July 5, 2012

Saving Gift Bags and Tissue Paper: a quick way to go green and save money

I had a baby shower thrown for me last weekend and was overwhelmed by the awesome gifts and creative wrapping. Living frugally, I couldn't stand to throw out all of that tissue paper and those bags that were pretty much brand new. So, I sat down during a break from making pizza's to freeze for the upcoming week and smoothed out the volumes of tissue paper, sorted them into coordinating color packets and folded them carefully. Then I removed any tags from the gift bags and figured out how to fold them correctly (a talent that had eluded me for my entire life). Once I got the hang of folding the gift bags, it went really quickly. I even went so far as to cut the taped edges off of the wrapping paper (making a slightly smalled square of paper) and folding them up.

I then gathered all the paper and bags that were appropriate for a certain occasion only (like blue pastel "Baby Boy" paper), and bundled them with ribbon, Then I gathered the "Appropriate Anytime" bags and paper and bundled those with ribbon. I placed both in a giant blue felt amazon bag in the craft room (Those bags that they use to gift wrap large packages.) This does more than just save me money, it creates a stock room of wrapping supplies that I can use when needed, which ultimately saves me a last minute trip to Walmart. I'm a big fan of reducing the amount of errands I need to run. My limit is one errand a week (not counting my once a week shopping trip on my day off). Anything that I can do to skip that errand puts me in a better position to keep to my routines, relax, and have fun!

It took me less than ten minutes to sort through all the bags, We thew out less than a quart plastic baggie of wrapping material, and the wrapping paper stock pile is pretty impressive. Plus, I made book marker thank you cards, and I was able to re-use the silk ribbon right away on the thank you cards.

Give it a shot next time!

2 comments:

  1. If you need to get more of the wrinkles out, you can iron them out. That is what I do. I save all the tissue, bags and ribbons and recycle all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are clearly a girl after my own heart! I just started a closet filled with home made gifts to add to gift baskets as I need them, I love planning ahead!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment and discuss here. You can also share your own tips and ask questions of the author. Complaints and constructive criticism are welcomed. Derogatory and hateful comments will be deleted.